Dr. Michael Dickman
Dr. Michael Dickman earned a B.S. in General Studies at Southeast Missouri State University in 1982, followed by an M.A. in Speech Communication at Wichita State University in 1985. He joined the faculty of Cumberland College in 1993 and, while teaching full time and directing the Forensics Team, he began work on a doctorate in Philosophy of Communication at Southern Illinois University, successfully defending his thesis in 1997.
Dr. Dickman has been honored with awards for his work with students in competitive debate. In 1988, he was named Top Debate Coach at Duke University, and in 1996 he was recognized as Top Debate Critic at a tournament at the University of North Carolina-Charlotte. He has served as Vice President for the Kentucky Forensics Association and is presently a member of the National Communication Association.
- Originally from Northern Ohio, but a Whitley County and University of the Cumberlands graduate.
- Began singing at a very young age and received my first guitar on my 5th birthday.
- Was heavily influenced by my late grandfather, who just passed away in October, and my father.
- Other musical influences include Aretha Franklin, Etta James, Adele, Alabama Shakes, Norah Jones, Gavin Degraw, The Steeldrivers, Allison Kraus, The Civil Wars, The Isaacs
- Always felt music as a strong calling and treasured gift from God whether it be singing, writing or playing guitar or piano.
- Music Director at my church, Brays Chapel Church of God
- Married my best friend, Will, one week after graduation and we are the proud parents of our Porkie (Pomeranian-Yorkie), Cocoa. J
- Currently have a Bachelors in Music, but in the process of applying to the University of Louisville for a Music Therapy Certification.
Season Three Guest Judges:
Dr. Larry Cockrum, UC CEO and President Elect
James Cornn, Corbin High School Band Director
Dr. Jeff Smoak, UC Music Department Chair
Dr. Keith Goforth, UC Religion Department
Donna Colegrove, Former Music Instructor
(Guest Judges subject to change based on availability)